Research Advisory Committee formed for SOEST Dean’s Research
The University of Hawaii at the Mānoa Provost’s Office officially launched the search for the next Dean of the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST). Provost’s Research Advisory Committee Michael Bruno was established to start the research process.
SOEST is globally recognized as a leading institution for geoscience research and education. The mission of SOEST is to serve society by developing and expanding new knowledge about our oceans, Earth, atmosphere and planets, and improving the quality of life in Hawaii, nation and across the world, providing world-class research and education, contributing to a high-tech economy, and promoting the sustainable and resilient use of the environment.
Denise ConanDean of the College of Social Sciences, will chair the Research Advisory Committee, whose members are:
- Rosie AlegadoAssociate Professor, Department of Oceanography and uh Sea Grant, Center for Microbial Oceanography: Research and Teaching, SOEST
- Brian Allengraduate student
- Healani ChangAssociate Specialist, Pacific Biosciences Research Center, SOEST
- Elena Dobricaassistant professor, Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology, SOEST
- Dolan Eversoleassociate extension officer, uh Sea Grant, SOEST
- Kealoha Fox, Senior Advisor, Institute for Climate and Peace
- Julia HammerProfessor, Department of Earth Sciences, SOEST
- Mireya IngaTax Administration and Support Specialist, Department of Oceanography, SOEST
- Margaret McManusProfessor and Director, Department of Oceanography, SOEST
- Thanh Truc NguyenSpecialist, Curriculum Research and Development Group, College of Education
- Noelani PuniwaiAssociate Professor, Hawai’inuiakea School of Hawaiian Knowledge
- Mariko Quinnundergraduate student, ASUH
- Michael Seki, Director, Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA
- Godwin Severaresearch assistant, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute, SOEST
- Kapua SproatProfessor, William S. Richardson School of Law
- Giuseppe TorriAssistant Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, SOEST
The committee will recommend the finalists to Provost Bruno, who will then recommend a candidate for uh President David Lasner.
The search process has begun and will continue over the summer (official job announcement is forthcoming) with finalists invited to campus in early fall 2022 and the anticipated start date for the new dean in early spring 2023.