Abandonment of the annual list of the best SEA students… “The ministry accepts mediocrity” | Additional News

Vijay Maharaj, acting general secretary of the Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha, accused the Ministry of Education of accepting mediocrity.

Maharaj, who was speaking at Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha’s inaugural Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) awards ceremony in 2022, said the Ministry of Education had failed to rewarding excellence by removing the annual list of top SEA students.

The ceremony took place yesterday at Lakshmi Girls’ Hindu College, Eastern Main Road, St Augustine.

Maharaj also asked why the 2021 President’s Medal winners are still waiting to receive their medals. “The Ministry of Education and the government of Trinidad and Tobago no longer recognize excellence. Last year they had a brouhaha with the SEA when they didn’t know who came first, second or third. So this year they decided to drop it, and I can’t allow that to happen. Our children need to know who they are. They need to know they have excelled and they need to know that after seven years of hard work they have achieved something, Maharaj said.

“They decided excellence wasn’t important anymore, but it means something to us. Do they accept mediocrity? I can’t accept this. I want to know and Lakshmi Girls’ College wants to know why the 2021 President’s Gold Medalist hasn’t received it yet. Why didn’t she get it? Why are we in the second half of 2022 and she hasn’t received her President’s Medal? Maharaj asked.

Maharaj said that even though the government has not recognized the best SEA students, the Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha will recognize their students for their excellence and reward them. “A few weeks ago when the ESA results came out, it was rumored that there would be no honor to excellence in our children who passed the exam,” Maharaj said. .

Recognize excellence

Maharaj said 129 Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha students across the country received their awards for placing in the top three at their respective schools. “How not to recognize excellence? We decided that what we would do would be to recognize the top three in all of our schools, and today we have 129 students from 43 primary schools in Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha, with the top three students excelling,” Maharaj said.

Maharaj said that 92% of pupils in Maha Sabha primary schools excelled in the SEA exam. “There were 1,748 children in 43 of our primary schools who took the exam. Of these, 70% passed in seven-year schools and 22% in five-year schools. That’s a grand total of 92% of our kids succeeding in high school and we have to honor that because however you twist and turn it, SEA is a competition to get ahead in life. life and achieve excellence,” said Maharaj. .

Maharaj said that apart from academics, Maha Sabha schools also emphasize spirituality.

One hundred and twenty-nine students received certificates and a personal trophy at the awards ceremony. Arianna Caitlyn Roopa from Robert Village Hindu School, Arjun Radoo from El Dorado South Hindu School and Abhisri Maharaj from El Dorado South Hindu School were recognized as the top three SEA students from the 43 primary schools in Maha Sabha.

Comments are closed.